Sunday, September 2, 2012

Strangers in the night: A short story





This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 31; the thirty-first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is 'Strangers in the Night'




It was dark and eerie, a narrow alley that took me into a world of surreal. The only sounds were the   croaking of crickets and the screeching of bats on the lone tree at the far end. I’m nearing the end and expect to hear the familiar whooshing of the waves that will soon engulf me. But it doesn’t happen. Instead, I see a man, just his silhouette actually. I stop and wonder if I should turn back to the dystopian reality that awaits me. Suddenly, I hear a voice; the words at first seem muffled .Then a clear ringing intonation,

 “It is your own consent that will lead you down the path to freedom and happiness. All you need is to find the power within you, to release the chains of confinement.”

Startled, I want to scream, but all that comes out is a whisper, “Who are you?” I can hear my heartbeat echoing through the alley.

Strangers in the night, with no future or past,  but then a sense of calm washes over like an old friend.

The sonorous voice wafts back, “I’m a figment of your imagination. A passing memory.”

A gust of wind roars over, picking up some leaves, rustling, as it floats away. The stranger continues, “You can choose to be fettered or to let go like those leaves which are now on their way to freedom.

“But the leaves didn’t choose to part”, I said as I found my voice. “They dried and fell and now they are carried by the wind.”  

“That’s an illusion! They fall off only when they want to, just like everything else that is in harmony with nature.”

As if on cue, a falcon shrieks in the sky above and my eye catches the first rays of the morning sun sparkling over the placid waters.

When I look again, the stranger of the night has vanished and I wake up from my reverie to the beautiful and comforting sound of silence.



The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: Net browsing, Participation Count: 1

 

34 comments:

  1. "Good Morning Deepa! Enjoy the beautiful morning and comforting sound of silence!" That's the wonderful read.. Keep writing.. Good luck!

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The blog-a-ton is a great idea! ihad almost given up on blogspot due to lack of feedback, this has reneewed my interest!

      Delete
    2. :) that's great to know.. Keep writing! Keep the spirit up!

      Delete
  2. The subconscious is a real powerful tool isn't it! Best wishes for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepa! I loved your 6 part short story( have yet to read a few more!)

      Delete
  3. Best described the powers within. Really beautiful saga envisaged. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a good read! and gud take on the topic itself :)

    all the best for BAT :)

    if you have time do visit
    Strangers in the night

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very nice messages you got here.

    I love: All you need is to find the power within you, to release the chains of confinement.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true...we have so much power with...jus need to awaken the subconscious mind
    ATB for BAT :)
    i could not participate...but u can see my post here
    Karan - Strangers in the Night

    ReplyDelete
  7. The conflict that you represented makes home in everyone's mind. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haunting, almost like an acid trip! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A poetic read, Deepa! Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suresh! I liked your award winning entry in the previous blogaton. Very touching indeed!

      Delete
  10. Often we need someone to tell us not to give up..even if tat someone is just a figment of our imagination...all the best for BAT :)
    And thanks for stopping by my blog !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deepa...this is like a prose in poetry! Beautiful...and I especially liked the 'awakened mind'...exquisite!
    An enlightened or illuminated mind is nothing contrived, but it is a natural human state rooted in reality:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Panchali, coming from a powerhouse of talent like you is indeed humbling!

      Delete
  12. Its beautiful how you have described the maya along with falling of leaves, the fugacious routine from two different points - man and the tree :) nice one!

    Do stop by my blog! Kappu

    hey, try to remove captcha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting philosophy brought out through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Felt like I was on fantasy ride with you . Great writing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayshree! You're a talented writer too!

      Delete
  15. Thought for the day in a 'dream'? Nice play with words.

    ATB for BAT 31

    Here's my entry

    CRD - BLAME IT ON THE DARK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Loved your story- the spook on Vikram and Betal, one of my childhool favs!

      Delete
  16. Interesting last few lines...words I`ve read in different places presented here as one..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice One, Reminded me of the movie Inception.ATB!

    ReplyDelete