Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Whole Nine Yards - An Ode




This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 32; the thirty-second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is 'An Untold Story'



A couple of weeks earlier, at the behest of our mothers, my husband and I performed a 'homa' at home. The priest who was going to guide us ,came home a couple of days earlier to brief us about the requirements, items to be bought and do’s and don’ts. As he was leaving, he looked disdainfully at the jeans I was wearing, just as a parent would look at a child who had brought home a ‘C’ grade. And then exclaimed, “You should wear a saree for the occasion.” I was miffed! I always wore a saree for special occasions. Incensed by the remark, it was then I decided to go the whole nine yards. Literally!
The nine yard saree, worn by Queens in days bygone and by women up to my grandmother’s generation, was now relegated to weddings (usually just the bride) and religious ceremonies. Few of my mother’s generations know how to wear it, let alone mine! Just as writers had advanced from the quill to the fountain pen to ball point pen and now the keyboard, women in India had advanced from the nine yard saree to six yard saree to salwar khameez to jeans.
It was a long and unwieldy garment. But I was determined to wear it, and not only that, I also decided to learn how to drape it. It was rather cumbersome to drape, with many tucks and folds, requiring a good amount of bending, twisting and turning. I almost broke into a sweat as if I had a gym workout! I fumbled the first time, but got it right on the second attempt. I looked at myself in the mirror; I felt like a stuffed doll, yet there was a subtle elegance to it. I was swept by a sense of nostalgia and inspired to pen an ode to the 'Nine yard saree'
 A fabric of nine yards/As Lustrous as the stars/Like sheen of a rose/Sometimes apricot with gold/Your tradition began in/The land of yore./Adorned by Laxmi/the warrior Queen of Jhansi,/With yardage billowing ,/Like a bolt of lightning/she rode to glory/protecting her territory./Raja Ravi Varma/In a World of Bohemia,/his muses draped/in velvety regalia;/Voluptuous and coy,/A graceful sight!/Sensuous as night./You were my grandmother’s livery/Together with finery/Exquisite as dreams,/But now replaced by/modern seams,/You’re just a part of a/bride’s trousseau/Not haute couture/Now Obscure and old/yours is /a story untold.




The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: Net Browsing, Participation Count: 2




38 comments:

  1. Very true Deepa. There are things which we forget in the quest of advancement..and all of them have an untold story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diwakar! Most of these 'old' things will soon be unknown to the new generations! I wonder if they know about the quill even! Another untold story!

      Delete
  2. i am awestruck (literally) with the beauty of your ode ! luved the way u described the whole nine yard tradition in jus nine lines ...count me in ur list of fans mam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely compliment, not sure if I deserve it! But thanks also for pointing out that the ode took nine lines! Didn't realize that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful ode...a different thought..

    I am here
    http://odizzey.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/an-untold-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by odyzz! and for your feedback!

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful ode ...!! I know managing nine yards isn't easy. But, good that you made an effort!!Enjoyed the last paragraph the most!! Am still chuckling :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Panchali! your words really made my day! I'm not much of a poetry person, this was my very first attempt.

      Delete
  6. Everyone has said it but I would love to say it once more.. Very beautiful ode... :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exploring the unexplored always brings something new to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am just curious...is there a reason why you chose to talk about Jhansi and Raja Ravi Verma? Did it just come to you or was there any other thought behind it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because rani Laxmi bai wore nine yard sari and so do most of the women in Ravi Varma's paintings.

      Delete
    2. Let me try again. I'm sure more queens and princesses of India must have worn such sarees. So the question is, why Jhansi in particular? Or are you just capturing both angles (somewhat opposite ends) of feminity with these examples?

      Delete
    3. I think all things l artistic , poetry, paintings are beautiful because they re enigmatic. Some people get it and some don't . And it's ok to not get it, cos that makes it interesting.

      Delete
    4. Lol. Is it not okay to approach the creator and seek further clarity?
      I like your answer very much though. :D
      I have a feeling that you'll not give me a direct answer, so guess this will remain an 'enigma' for me.

      Delete
  9. Saree-the only garment that mesmerizes me & scares me at the same time!Beautiful ode.. :)
    ATB for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The six yard sari isn't so scary I think! Takes a few tries to get used to, but lot more manageable than a nine yard! Thanks for stopping by Rinaya!

      Delete
  10. Kudos to your effort. I am comfortable wearing a six yard one and do manage it pretty well, but I try to restrict it to special occasions. For one, if I wear a saree everyday I feel the grandeur quote disappears and it becomes an every day thing! But that's just me! And the other, it does tend to get too hot and I have recently learnt (tough lessons!) to dress according to the weather! Had recently attended a cousin's wedding in Chennai on May 31st. Imagine. May 31. Peak summer. Chennai. Wedding. Heavy silk sarees with zari border. Couldn't wait to slip into something more comfortable! The bunch of us managed for exactly an hour and a half or so and then slipped into regular stuff! Kudos for going the whole nine yards! Literally! Best wishes for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there, silk sari in chennai. Doesn't match. Yet there are so many mamis wearing pat padve almost everyday!,don't know how they manage!!

      Delete
  11. I have never worn a saree in my life but I love how look it goods on some women. I'm sure you were one too. Anyway the phrases are beautiful and strong and synonymous with the strength of a woman. Beautiful!! :)

    ❤Not Just My Allegories❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anisha! I can't say if sari looks good on me, but I do love wearing them.

      Delete
  12. Oh Boy! I love wearing nine yards saree but I have not yet learnt the trick fully yet. Still I resort to my mother for help. But the look it gives....is something unique...a lot of grandeur and poise!! Nice post Deepa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaishree. It's not easy draping a nine yard! Not sure if I'll remember it next time!

      Delete
  13. Lovely ode to the nine yards :) ATB for BAT.

    Do visit my entry: http://ponderingtwo.blogspot.in/2012/10/love-torn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rohan! Will definitely check out yours.

      Delete
  14. I read this Ode twice and I love the way you have written it.. :) I liked it. I haven't read many Odes in my life but this is definitely one of the most interesting ones! :)

    All the best for BAT 32 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megha! That's a sweet thing to say! I haven't read many odes too, last time was in school!

      Delete
  15. Very interesting post, haven't heard about a nine yard saree.The ode made me open the dictionary many times :). Were you more beautiful in the nine yard saree :D (just kidding) ?

    Do visit mine http://www.stylisharjun.blogspot.in/2012/10/an-untold-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google 'nine yard saree' you can find many images , some famous actresses also wearing it! Sorry about getting you to open the dictionary! Wasn't my intention:-)

      Delete
  16. thanks for penning this one....this surely helps us preserve the indian culture in the modern era
    ATB for BAT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karan! I'm all for preserving Indian culture, at least those that do not cause any trouble to others..

      Delete
  17. That's a beautiful ODE Deepa :) Wish you Good Luck :) Keep writing :)

    PS: Please disable word verification and enable moderation :)

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have no idea what 'word verification' is. But I'll look into it and disable it! Thanks for letting me know..

      Delete
  18. I found the post informative. An image would have been nicer I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did think of adding an image. But was in a hurry to post..I'll keep that in mind!

      Delete